3 go to recipes for a pork butt or shoulder. All three can be made in either a crockpot or Instapot.
- Carnitas Tacos. This recipe comes from Epicurious, and has been my go to for years now (probably the sweetened condensed milk). If you want to feel a bit healthier, omit the lard, I don’t notice a big difference either way. Serve with corn tortillas and cilantro/onion topping…Dice white onion, dice one bunch cilantro, mix together with juice of one lime.
- Cubans. If you dont have a press, you can use a heavy pot or iron skillet to press your sandwiches for a toasty finish.
- Asian Pork Tacos. These are damn delicious. You can double the recipe and freeze half for an easy freezer meal.
Instructions: Sear 3 lb pork but in sesame oil on all sides. Mix the following ingredients and pour over pork:
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup teriyaki sauce
- ½ cup Hoisin sauce
- 2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 clove minced garlic
- Sriracha to taste
Set the insta pot high pressure, and cook for 1 hour. Serve with the following: Flour tortillas, pickled jalapeño and cucumber topping, shredded carrots, shredded cabbage, cilantro.
Pickled jalapeño and cucumber topping: Mix the following and let sit while pork is cooking, even better over night.
- 1 cucumber sliced thin and halved
- 4-6 jalapenos sliced thin
- 6 tablespoons rice wine
- 4 tablespoons sugar